Monday 15 May 2017

In A Vase On Monday - A Wild Bunch

The forecast for today was for rain and it wasn't wrong. It's pouring! So confession time, I picked, and photographed, today's contribution to Cathy's In A Vase On Monday yesterday.
As you can see, it's just a bunch containing wild flowers - geum, campions and hesperis matronalis - and self-seeded aquilegia - various forms. chiefly Beidermeir, Mrs Scott Elliot and the alpine ones that flower the earliest.
I love aquilegia, especially seeing the purple ones that grow in the wild, but I have seen them referred to as weeds in a few gardening articles. I think it must be because of the way they can seed themselves wherever they fancy. Despite that I'm guilty of encouraging them by sprinkling seeds in any gap in the border and just letting them get on with it. If they do become a problem I can always dig them up and donate them to a family member - there's always someone willing to give them a good home.

Geum Mrs Bradshaw. Lovely doer this plant. The yellow buds slowly turn orange and finally open up to vivid red. It's also a spreader that has to be kept under control, otherwise it would take over the border completely.

Two campions, Silene. The traditional rose red and a very pale pink,  a hybrid of white S. latifolia and red S. dioica  - both grown from a wildflower seed mix.


Dame's violet, hesperis matronalis. Another great favourite, which has apparently has been in the UK for over 800 years. Disappointingly, the name derives from Damascus and has nothing to do with dames at all.

So that's what's in my vase for this week - a wild bunch for sure, but I think they are all so very charming.

I wish you all a very happy week, in the garden if the weather permits.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like your wild things, Elizabeth - and your dwarf aquilegia of no doubt Lilliputian proportions, unlike mine!!Interesting to read that your geum is thuggish as she has struggled for me in the last few year after an initially good start. In fact none of my geums did much last year but are looking more promising this time round

Valerija said...

Wonderful bunch. Love the wild flowers.
Valerija xx

Jean said...

I love your pretty bunch of garden flowers Elizabeth. I am also a fan of aquilegia and have been since I was little and my Dad always had them in the garden.
Jean x

Anonymous said...

There really is not need to say "just"; your vase today is charming, it displays all the joy of spring. I don't think Aquilegia is a weed - anyway a weed is only a plant in a place you don't want it. I have one or two but the heat kills them here so I think they are very special.

AlisonC said...

I was just going to say that too, a weed is a plant in the wrong place and your aquilegias are in the right place. I love the way they cross and pop up everywhere and, as you say, you can always pull them up. It's a very pretty spring vase.

Tina Z. said...

ooo, lovely photos of your flowers ....