Monday 14 November 2016

In A Vase On Monday - Winter Roses

It already feels like winter in the garden - we've had several days that began with below zero temperatures - but the roses are continuing to bloom (check out my post on Friday to see just how many). I have to admit they do look oddly naked without their foliage but they are beautiful and these pink ones, variety unknown, still fill the living room with their lovely fruity perfume.
I've also saved the last annual dahlia still surviving. I rescued it before my husband cleared out the summer bedding in the old wheelbarrow. It is planted up every spring to give the gravelled area that is directly in front of the house a bright spot of colour. I've added a few sprigs of eucalyptus gunnii and one of silverberry (elaegnus x ebbingei) plus several delicate fronds of fennel.

Many thanks, as usual, to Cathy for hosting In A Vase On Monday. Without her encouragement I would probably not be out foraging in my garden and sharing each week my finds with you. 



8 comments:

Eliza Waters said...

Luscious!

Anonymous said...

Your roses are so perfect - I still have a few but they are a bit floppy and sad looking. Love the colour of your annual dahlia too - I am going to try overwintering my annual dahlias and will let you know how I get on

Anonymous said...

Amazing your roses could look so fresh with such cold temperatures. What a treat. susie

Kris Peterson said...

The roses are beautiful - at first glance I almost took them for peonies! The vase itself also complements them wonderfully.

Megan J said...

Hi Elizabeth, gorgeous roses and love the foliage! Who'd of thought a Eucalypt in Scotland! Just as well this one loves the cold climate. Have a great week... Megan

Anonymous said...

Your beautiful roses look as fresh as they would in spring, how lovely to have them filling the room with their perfume.

AlisonC said...

I think my favourite roses are the fat pink ones. So gorgeous. Thank you for introducing me to this lovely idea. x

Sandra H said...

Wow still in bloom your so lucky they are gorgeous! x