Monday 9 May 2016

In A Vase On Monday - Bluebells in Wedgwood

Hello Everyone,

Summer has arrived. At last! And, of course, I've been pottering in the garden most of the day and not so much making hay while the sun shone but deadheading daffodils and pulling up weeds. And that is why this post for Cathy's In A Vase On Monday is so late.
It's bluebell time in our garden again. Despite having dug up a great many bulbs last year, we still have several clumps of these Hyacinthoides hispanica (Spanish bluebells) growing in a narrow border that runs along the back of the house and, in truth, they are so pretty it would be a shame to eradicate them altogether. Especially as they look perfect in this blue and white vase - yet another charity shop find.
Down at the bottom of the wildflower patch Hesperis Matronalis (Dames Violet) and Lunaria annua (Honesty) are doing well too so I didn't feel too guilty cutting a spray or two to add to the vase. The Geum Mrs Bradshow that I added is just coming into bud in the long border - still green, not yet showing the bright red they will eventually become.
In the woodland area I was delighted to discover that my little Fagus sylvatica (green birch) is breaking into leaf. I love the soft feel of the fresh green growth so I've added a couple of sprigs to the vase. The leaves of epimedium pubigerum (Bishop's Mitre) are maybe a bit too big but I couldn't resist the bright lime freshness of the new growth. They will darken soon enough.

About the vase. The markings on the base suggests that it's a pre-1900 transfer printed Wedgwood Etruria vase. I need to do a bit more research on it but if it turns out to be genuine it's quite a find. Whether it's real or fake, I think it's lovely anyway.

According to the weather forecast it's going to be another good day tomorrow so I'm planning get out into the garden again. I picked up several pelargonium plants from the garden centre today which, together with herbs I've been nursing through winter, need to be potted up ready for the summer. That's assuming that these few sunny days aren't going to be our only summer!

Happy gardening everyone,

4 comments:

Amy@SmallSunnyGarden said...

What a lovely vase; the bluebells are so perfect with the blue and white Wedgewood! And the mix of greens is lovely...

Carole Pollard said...

Such pretty flowers perfect colours and that vase is just so special it compliments these flowers perfectly love and hugs Carole x

Barb said...

Absolutely beautiful Elizabeth. The vase is really beautiful. I love the smell of bluebells growing in the woods. Barb xx

Anonymous said...

Difficult decision and one I need to make too as they are increasingly popping up here - but so large and striking... The blue & white vase is the pefect container - thanks for sharing