Thursday 24 March 2016

Sewing - Crazy Patchwork Needlecase

Hi Everyone,

I have a really quick share today.
I've been working on this needlecase for some time. The cover is crazy patchwork sewn with hand embroidery. The cover is made from patches from a variety of ditsy printed cotton fabric and embroidery stitches - chain stitch, cross stitch, herringbone, lazy daisies, etc. I used two colours of DMC floss in shades of wine and pink.
Instead of cutting the felt inner with pinking shears, I machined a pretty scalloped stitch down the edges, using a pink rayon thread (40wt Wonderfil),  and trimmed the excess fabric away. Another decorative stitch was used to sew the felt inner to the cotton lining. 
The ribbon tie was machine stitched to the centre of the cover.  
The ribbon tie was also machine stitched to the centre of the patchwork cover. To finish the needlecase I sewed the lining to the cover.

The cover took the longest to make - all that hand stitching - but once that was done it just took minutes to complete. I'm planning to make a few more but I won't be doing hand embroidery - giving my hands a rest - instead I'll use some of the many decorative stitches on my sewing machine. In the meantime, this one will take pride of place in my embroidery box.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

And Happy Crafting,

6 comments:

Rita said...

Stunning Elizabeth. Looks so pretty with you selection of embroidery stitches. Hope your both well. Hugs Rita xxxx

Barb said...

It's absolutely lovely Elizabeth. The hand stitching on the outside looks very impressive. It reminds me of a sampler. I like what you've done with the stitched borders on the felt inside. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Easter. Barbxx

Twiglet said...

Oh so lovely - especially the hand stitching - it finishes it off so nicely. I bet you will also enjoy testing out which machine embroidery stitches will look good too! Happy Easter.x Jo

Sharon said...

Very pretty!

Carole Pollard said...

Fabulous make this is so lovely love and hugs Carole x

Bonnie said...

This is so pretty, Elizabeth! What beautiful stitching!