Saturday 23 May 2015

Super Cool - Card Inspired by ...

... Julee over at Poetic Artistry!

With my mojo firing on less than all cylinders, I was blog hopping looking for some inspiration when I found Julee's latest creation here. I liked it immediately, it was just the design I was looking for, so I CASEd it! Here's my card.
If you popped in on Wednesday to check out my WOYWW desk you will recognise the topper and some of the cardstock. I was trying to decide what colours would look best with the image of the rock climber and as I mentioned on Wednesday, photographing the cardstock spread out on my desk really helped - something for me to remember in the future.

Here's how I made the card:

  • To make the base I scored and folded an A4 (8¼"x11¾") sheet of white cardstock to create an A5 (8¼"x5¾") portrait size card then rounded all four corners ... I did this to match with the topper and sentiment (Kanban Wild Side). Corner rounding was carried through all the elements for the card.
  • I then trimmed another piece of white card approximately ¼" smaller all round than the card front and embossed it using Crafter's Companion Pebbles folder. The edges were then inked with Milled Lavender distress ink.
  • Next I trimmed some deep mauve pearlescent card to measure just about an 1/8" larger than the embossed piece for matting. 
  • The embossed layer was adhered to the mauve layer, using foam pads for dimension, then both were added to the front of the card.
  • To make the topper embellishment: A piece of Black Magic Core'dinations cardstock was trimmed, eyeballing it, to make the panel under the topper - it measures approximately 4½"x2" - which was then sanded to reveal the pink core. Two scraps of card, pink and mauve, were used to create the flags which were then stapled to the topper. A length of purple trim was wrapped round the lower edge of the topper and knotted. All these elements were adhered together using foam pads and added to the front of the card.
  • Finally, the sentiment was added to the lower right corner.

A little pocket, created from the mauve cardstock, was added to the inside - perfect for adding a gift card - and a sentiment from the Happiest Birthday Wishes set (My Favorite Things) was stamped in black.
I made this card for my granddaughter's 15th birthday. As you can see from this photo, Jolene is a bit of an action girl and her ideal birthday treat is to spend a weekend in Aviemore, in the Highlands of Scotland, trying out all the various thrilling activities on offer there!

Had another busy day today. We went shopping for new curtains for our newly decorated bedroom then, as we were so near The Range, just had to pop in there ... it would have been rude not to :) A crafty haul and several £s lighter we came home to potter - read weeding out the ground elder for potter - in the garden. It's been such a lovely sunny day, you'd hardly know that it's a bank holiday weekend :)

Hope you have had an equally lovely day too. Thanks for visiting.

Happy Crafting,

1 comment:

Sarn said...

Great idea for a teenage card and I like the internal pocket too.

Hugs, Sarn xxx