Monday 20 April 2015

In a Vase On Monday

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for dropping in, I hope the start of the week has been good for you so far. As you probably know by now, Monday is the day Cathy at Rambling in the Garden asks us to share a vase of flowers picked from our own garden - something I'm very happy to do. It's a lovely sunny day here in Ayrshire so I was able to enjoy my wander round the garden looking at and choosing what to include in today's vase.
Not too difficult! My pot of tulips is at it's optimum and I could not resist cutting a few of the Angelique tulips.
I've been growing this variety for years and they never cease to be delightful with there deep pink petals shot with green and white.
I've teamed them up with the first of the bluebells - not fully opened yet but I'm too impatient to wait - and Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow' - I remembered to put on my garden gloves to handle this plant, the sap can irritate the skin. The foliage that fills in the front of the 'arrangement' - read plonked for arranged, much more appropriate - is from one of my husband's pet plants, Astilbe arendsii 'Fanal'. The young leaves are a lovely bronze red colour - sadly, they will change to green as they mature.

The pretty jug is yet another charity shop find - the Red Cross this time - made in Poland. It's so nice to think that it has come all that way from Poland to Scotland to grace my home!

And to end with I thought I'd share my pot of tulips, Angelique, Sunlover and a couple of others I don't know the name of ... my husband sneaked them into the bag before I planted them up.
Stunning! I don't know what possessed me to mix pink and yellow/orange tulips together, not to mention the sneaky purple ones, but they certainly brighten up what is the working area of the garden, and they make me smile every time I pass them. The cane is there to support a clematis that's tucked away deep inside, Clematis tex. 'Princess Diana' ... you might just be able to spot the new shoots peeping out from between the tulips.

So that's my vase for this week. If you feel the urge to join in do pop over to Rambling in the Garden, I'm sure Cathy will be delighted to see what's in your vase too :)

Happy Gardening,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angelique is a lovely tulips, I'm not sure why I haven't grown it - one for the list for this autumn's order I think!

Carole Pollard said...

Gorgeous and what a pretty vase perfect find for this display love and hugs Carole x

Kris Peterson said...

Beautiful, Elizabeth! I love tulips in general and 'Angelique' in particular. In fact, despite the fact that my Southern California climate is wholly inhospitable to tulips, I once ordered a dozen 'Angelique' bulbs. I chilled them in the refrigerator for 6 weeks as recommended (we have no winter chill), planted them carefully in a protected location that got good sun, saw the buds rise on healthy stalks - only to have one of our hideous, dry Santa Ana winds come up at the wrong time and shrivel all but 2 before they bloomed. Oh well, I can at least enjoy them in your photos.

Donna said...

Love the pot of tulips...so bright....and then your jug which is lovely and so bright with the flowers you chose.

Jacee said...

Beautiful vase of lovely blooms Elizabeth!
hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Anonymous said...

Ooh, lovely - but I am sure my Angelique are usually a lighter pink than that... The astilbe foliage is gorgeous isn't it, something I could do with having some of. And your mix of tulips in the last photo - gorgeous, and with all those double ones too :) Thanks for sharing today

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tulips today Elizabeth. I just planted Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow' so am excited to see them looking lovely in your vase. susie

Jackie said...

What a beautiful vase of lovely colour today Elizabeth, and I love the burst of colours in your tulip pot :o)
Jackie xx

Bobbie Lynn said...

Just beautiful Elizabeth. Lovely colors of Spring. : )
Have a lovely day.
Blessings!