Thursday 26 September 2013

September Tag

Morning Folks,

I hope life is treating you well wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

I have a tag, made for a swap, to share with you today and it's my homage to the great man himself, Tim Holtz.
Needless to say, I had almost nothing from the supplies required for this month's tag but nothing ventured, nothing gained :)  I simply followed his instructions, improvising, adapting and substituting as I went.
For example, where TH used a manila label, I cut a scrap of white card to size and shape, and where he used a star patterned stencil, I substituted star-shaped sequin waste. Embossing paste, I had none ... so I made some up, a vaguely remembered recipe Ali Reeves mentioned during a TV demo some time ago, mixing PVA (white/Elmers) glue with cornflour (cornstarch) ... it worked perfectly :)  And that is pretty much how I continued ... I got pretty stumped on a few of the steps but, after cogitating and deliberating over the instructions, usually thought of a suitable substitute for almost everything needed to complete the tag.

One of Tim's mantra's is that we should 'embrace imperfection'. Well, I have, quite literally by including it on the tag ... seemed appropriate somehow given how imperfect the tag is :))

I won't say there wasn't times when the little grey cells felt defeated but it was a very satisfying exercise and a great way to use a few snippets of card. And at the mention of snippets, I am reminded that I can submit my tag to Pixie's Crafty Snippets Playground - any excuse to visit the duck pond and feed the ducks :))

Materials used:

  • scraps of white card from the snippet box
  • Tim Holtz distress inks - Festive Berries, Peacock Feathers; Dried Marigold, Brushed Corduroy, Vintage Photo and Black Soot
  • dimensional paste made with PVA glue and cornflour
  • sequin waste, masks from Special Touch and Crafter's Workshop and a plastic stencil for numbers
  • white acrylic paint
  • stamps - Craft Stamper butterflies, Denami Design dragonfly and the ruler from a sewing set that was free with a magazine, Artemio key, alpha set for letters - maker unknown
  • gold embossing powder
  • punches - circles in two sizes
  • Archival Jet Black ink, VersaMark
  • Tim Holtz Idea-ology Chitchats and black marker
  • white American seam binding - coloured with distress ink
Edit Note: having been ordered by BJ to enter this on Tim Holtz' blog NOW ... how do I dare to disobey :) 
Thus, I'm submitting this tag to Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2013 - September 

It's dental check-up day, again :( Two appointments, one for the hygienist and the other for the dentist himself, groan ... I know it's essential but that doesn't make it any easier. Ah well, it will be soon over.

Hope you have something much more pleasant in your diary for today.

Take care and happy crafting,

11 comments:

Cathy said...

Fantastic tag Elizabeth, it really makes an impact! I love the colours and how creative you were with substituting your supplies, Cathy x

Jackie said...

I wouldn't call it an imperfect tag myself, it's gorgeous :o)
Jackie xx

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous tag Elizabeth! Fabulous design-I love all the elements you have used to create this.I haven't made tags in forever,and they are fun to create arn't they?
Hope your dental trip goes well-I have yet to meet anyone who actually likes going ! LOL!
Nessa xxx

JansArtyJunk said...

Gorgeous Timmy inspired tag...you did so well improvising and adapting Elizabeth :)

Di said...

Wow, this is fabulous Eizabeth. I love how you improvised - a perfect result.Beautiful colours and elements.

Good luck at the dentist - when it's all done isn't it funny how we skip out with a real spring in our step :) For the next six months at least.

Hugs, Di xx

Sarn said...

WOW WOW WOW . . . . this tag is divine Elizabeth. And clever you for making up your own paste.

LOVE THIS TAG.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Marie-Louise said...

Fanatastic tag Elizabeth.

Anne said...

It is truly lovely Elizabeth. Good Luck at the dentist. Anne x

Redanne said...

Hi Elizabeth, I think it is one of the things I love about Tim most, he likes people to improvise when they don't have his stuff - you have done an absolutely amazing job with your tag, it is gorgeous! Hugs, Anne x

Sue - said...

Wow Elizabeth your tag is fantastic. Hope the dentist went OK.

BJ said...

Go and enter your tag on Timmy's blog NOW! BJ - and that's an order - LOL