Sunday 21 October 2012

Boo! to You - Halloween Tag

Hi Folks

Sorry I haven't been around for a few days but it's been quite a weekend for me. The experience at the hospital on Friday has left me just a tad traumatised - it took me till this morning to get over the anaesthesthetic, both my hands are badly bruised, apparently my veins are thin ... I wish that could be said of the rest of me ... and just today I've developed a rash ... oh, the joys!

On a positive note, nothing sinister was detected ... a couple of biopsies have been taken but it will be some time before we know the result of those ... however, still no explanation as to why I am so anaemic.

Enough of that ... today I have been able to get into the craft space for an hour or two and been pottering away ... very therapeutic.

I had finished the tag that you could see the beginnings of on my WOYWW post on Wednesday and here it is.


As I said then, I really am not into Halloween and had to be persuaded to create this ... the EM can be very persuasive :)  However, I did get involved and actually enjoyed deciding what to include and how to put it together.

The base is a dark green cardstock - just a bit I had lying in the leftover drawer - and the patterned paper,  from My Mind's Eye 'Boo! to You' Collection, has been in my stash forever. I picked out the webbing on the paper with a VersaMark pen and heat embossed them with iridescent powder - not really showing in the photograph.


I stamped the tree branches and owls in Black Soot then stretched some ivory web trim over this base. I bought those googly eyes years ago for a scrap page - there's always much more in the packet than you can ever use in one project so I still have quite a few left!

The spider is attached with some acetate, recycled packaging, and hangs over the rosette so that it can be wiggled and jiggled :)


The lamp and cat started out as white die-cuts, also bought from an ebay vendor years ago before the Cuttlebug came into my life. With VersaMark and several layers of black embossing powder I was able to change their appearance to suit the project. Making the lamp look as though it was lit was a bit of a poser. I tried unsuccessfully to colour acetate with Promarkers - the solution was orange seam binding!


I love the cat ... the whiskers are just terrific - and she's a perfect companion for any wee witch ... and, hopefully she will scare those spiders away :))

Materials:
Dark green cardstock
Paper from My Mind's Eye 'Boo! to You' Collection; VersaMark pen; iridescent embossing powder
Sheena Douglass Highlands Silhouette stamp set; black ink pad 
Kanban ivory web trim; 
Die cut lamp and cat set; VersaMark ink pad; black embossing powder; googly eyes
Recycled acetate from packaging;  Asda stretchy spider
Trims: black lace; black bead trim; selection of ribbons in black, orange and purple; black/white bakers' twine

I am submitting this tag to the following challenges:

Anything But a Card Challenge 4: Fall or Halloween or Fall Colors

and, of course, because I'm still rummaging through the leftovers and snippets and managing to dig out useful bits and bobs:

Pixies Crafty Snippets Week 43

Apologies for my lack of visiting so far this week. I hope to do a bit of catching up over the next day or two.

Wishing you all well and hope you've have had a lovely weekend.

Happy crafting,

11 comments:

Di said...

Oh my golly gosh Elizabeth - what a fabulous snippets tag! How many little tricks you used to make this - amazing :)

Good to know the hospital visit is over for you - it's like being run over by a lawnmower isn't it, much better after you pick the bits of grass outta your hair and smooth down the ruffled feathers.

Hugs, Di xx

scrappymo! said...

Ohhh, this is so cute...I bet it is for one of the grandkids!
Love the post and cat. The lampost looks so real!

Angie said...

So sorry you had such a rubbish Friday ... hope the results are fine.
I think this tag is so great ...love all the little additions that give it such character. ....hugs xx

May said...

Hi Elizabeth, so glad to hear that all is well with those tests you had done Friday!! I hope you will feel much better soon.... Love this tag That lamp post & cat look real... Brilliant colours great background stamping.. love the touch of lace & rosette... Hugs May x x x

Margaret said...

So glad you ended up enjoying your Halloween tag! There are so many great things on such a small space! Love the web trim, the lantern and those wiggle eyes! So glad you joined us at ABAC!

Jackie said...

Good morning Elizabeth, I am so pleased to hear that nothing sinister was found, but a shame it was such a trying day...hugs
What a brilliant tag, I love it :o)
Jackie xx

Unknown said...

Love you tag especially the little spider peeping out! thanks for joining us at Challenges 4 Everybody this time!
Hugs xx Cara xx DT

Anonymous said...

Lovely job Elizabeth, for someone who doesn't make Halloween stuff it's brilliant! Love all the techniques used, and that cat is the cat's whiskers!!! Hope you've recovered somewhat from the poking and prodding at the hospital. I have to have an impacted wisdom tooth out soon, and I'm not looking forward to that I can tell you!

Hugs
Brenda

Julia S-W said...

What a great tag Elizabeth, particularly considering you had to be persuaded to do it! Lots of lovely texture and the colours are perfect. I really love all the 'googly' eyes you've added - a really fun touch.
So glad you decided to share your tag at Anything But A Card - please come back!!
Juliaxx

Christy said...

What a super cool tag! I love all the embellishing! :) Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card!!! :) :)

Amanda said...

I hope you are feeling a lot better after your hospital visit. Loving the tag. Hugs, Amanda x