Tuesday 14 August 2012

WOYWW 167 - more on that waxing inking technique

Hello WOYWWers, Followers and All,

Here we are at another Wednesday and time to join in with What's On Your Desk over at the Stamping Ground where Julia is host to the week's biggest blog hop - click on the WOYWW to join in and snoop around desks from all over the world.

However, I'm not here, or at least I won't be for the best part of the day - two hospital appointments in one day will be keeping me away.  And so, I won't be able to visit many of you until much later, possibly not until tomorrow.  Because of this, I almost decided not to participate this week but a few of you were interested in the wax embossing technique and I have a lot of photos to show you - be warned, this is a photo-heavy post.

First the desk.


Inked waxed embossed card - lots of it. I've had a great time trying out different combinations of inks ... Tim Holtz's, Adirondacks, Big and Juicies - I got them all out!


What you need for the technique is: waxed paper (sourced from The Fruit Pixie); embossing folders; an embossing machine - for me, that's my Cuttlebug, but any other would do; a dry iron - a steam iron with no water in would do just as well;  white cardstock - try various weights and finishes for different effects; copy paper; your chosen ink pads and a means of application, e.g. cut and dry; and finally a craft mat to protect your worktop.

The technique:
1. Cut wax paper to fit a folder and emboss exactly the same way as you would emboss any card or paper.
2. Heat the iron, to very hot, as hot as you can get it, and remember, no steam, ready for the next step
3. On the craft mat sandwich the embossed wax paper between two pieces of card cut to size
4. Place a sheet of copy paper over the top of the sandwich
5. Press the hot iron down on to the top of the sandwich using as much pressure as you can muster. Be careful not to displace the layers of the sandwich at this point.
6. Remove iron, copy paper and wax paper - your card is now ready for inking
7. Reveal the pattern by inking - the wax acts as a resist.
8. After inking, polish with a soft cloth or tissue to remove any ink that is lying on top of the waxed areas

I did discover that if the embossing folder has writing or numbers on it, there will only be one useful imprint. Proving the point, here's my deliberate mistake :)


This is Tim Holtz Alterations Clocks embossing folder - on the left the numbers are correct, on the right they are reversed.

I discovered too that the embossed images can be quite subtle depending on the make of folder - experimenting with the embossing machine sandwich and shims might make a difference - I'd try that next time. Also, I did try out a mask but was a bit disappointed with the impression - again, I think trying different shims would help. However, here's a selection of the cards I've made with the card so far.





I haven't listed the materials - there's too many and I'd be here for ages - but if there is anything you'd like more details about, just holler :)

There's a lot of snippets been used up in the making of these cards so I'll be popping over to Di's Sunday Snippets #33 again - twice in one day!!

I hope that you might give this technique a try yourself and, if you do, I'd love to see how you get on with it.

I hope you all have a great day and I will visit as many of you as I can, whenever I can ... bear with me, I might be just a tad slower getting round than even is my usual. 

Happy WOYWW,

36 comments:

Annie said...

What a fun technique Elizabeth.
Hope all goes well at the hospital today.
Hugs,
A x #61

Marie-Louise said...

What a great idea Elizabeth. Love the cards - all of them.

Helen said...

love the cards, great idea. hope the hospital visit isn't too taxing! Helen 3

Jackie said...

OMG Elizabeth, what a busy lady you have been! I love the papers you have made and the cards are all superb :o)
I hope all goes well with the hospital appointments!
Jackie xx

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

great tutorial - fab cards - hope today goes well. jenx 60

Neet said...

Gorgeous cards Elizabeth - I especially like ... oh, all of them!
Hope all goes well with the hossie visit - funnily I had two appointments yesterday and think they both showed good results. Hope yours do too.
Hugs, Neet #21 xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Great share Elizabeth but yet to find waxed paper here in Oz have tried several times just now and before this but to no avail. When looked that site up you had they dont post further than Europe.
I might try asking them thought they might - unless you know somewhere else I might find it.
I hope goes well at hospital love your cards amazing how productive some folk are! Puts me to shame..thanks for sharing ~ happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz. x #64

SueH said...

Oh wow Elizabeth, those backgrounds are really lushare really lush and what beautiful cards!
I’m definitely going to have to give that one a go.

Hope your two hospital appointments go well
Happy Crafting!
Sue
x
#69

Di said...

Brilliant results Elizabeth - one I neeeeeed to try for sure. You've cracked it perfectly.

Hope hospital goes fine.

Hugs and Happy WOYWW, Di xx #7

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I did a double take when you said you'd got your Big and Juicy out!!! I honestly have no idea what one of them is!! But I hope you had fun with it...

May the hospital appts run smoothly and quickly and with a positive outcome :)

Hugs, lLJ #72 xx

Twiglet said...

Wow those cards are really lovely and what a stunning way to use your waxed pieces. Hope your hosp app. went well. x Jo

Danielle said...

Great technique - the cards are beautiful! dani #33

Erika said...

Hi Elizabeth thanks for sharing this great technique and it looks like a great effect for journalling and cards. Enjoy what remains of your Wednesday, hugs Erika. #83

Victoria said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! The results are splendid. Hope your appointments go well. Happy WOYWW! Victoria no.55

Anonymous said...

Lovely cards Elizabeth, thanks for the technique :)

Hope everything went well at the hospital.

Happy WOYWW xx

Little K Smith said...

Oh this looks fabulous! Such a gorgeous technique and love your projects with it too :)
Kelly.x

Wishcraft said...

Great technique and I love the cards you've made, they're gorgeous! Hugs, Lisa x

May said...

Fabulous technique.. Gorgeous cards Elizabeth.. Thanks for the great tutorial.. I will try this out! I hope all goes well at the hospital x Hugs May x x x#5

okienurse said...

great idea! Thanks for sharing it with us. I love the cards and the technique! Vickie #38

JoZart Designs said...

Great technique Elizabeth and fabulous results. Love all the cards you made from it.
Re my blog candy... you MUST join in even if you have been lucky before, please do and anyhow I'm dying to know your alter ego name!!!
Just let me know for 2 chances but I will put you in as Elizabeth.
Hope the hospital results are all good... love JoZarty x

Lynne said...

Fabulous papers Elizabeth, they make gorgeous cards.
Lynne xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, the OTHER E here (saw your comment to Annette). I have made these with crumpled waxed paper since I don't have a die cutting machine. I placed one page face up, the wax paper, then another page face down and ironed. I got TWO pages for the cost of one ironing. You know me, Queen of Free.

BTW, I just saw your comment and that tree stump to my north is NOT the one that belongs to my neighbor Sally. Her tree is still standing. She still has to have it removed and when she does, she made sure the estimate included the removal of the stump.

Laura said...

What a fun technique -- I definitely want to try that sometime! Thanks for showing how it's done. Hope you made out well with your medical appointments and are home and crafting (or sleeping.) :-)
Happy WOYWW from Laura #124

Sarn said...

Ooh you've been have an inky time of it all.

Beautiful results
Hugs
Sarn xxx

BJ said...

Cool effects there. Just wondering whether the waxed paper is waxed both sides, assuming it must be as you get 2 impressions. I'm amazed that the iron pressure doesn't just flatten the embossing and make a splodge! Well Done BJ #46 and thanks for stopping by in your busy hospital schedule. HUGS

BJ said...

Oh bother wrote you a long reply and got an error and with moderation have no idea whether you got it or not. Bother Bother bother probably our connection again!!! A synopsis - great cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!BJ #46

Craftychris said...

Brilliant technique, thank you for the tutorial. Your cards are gorgeous! I hope the hospital visits went well. Take care xx

Tertia said...

Thank you for telling us how to do this. I love the look of it and now that my craftroom is up and running, I am definately going to try this.
Happy very belated WOYWW!
Tertia #116

Julia Dunnit said...

I hope the hospital visits were on time, and the day went by without waiting too long! The cards you've made with this technique are wonderful, I love that you tried different inks, did you end up with a preference? I'm going to guess at the DInks, they are easy to 'polish' with.

karen said...

This is a really cool technique! So is it just regular kitchen type waxed paper? Like on a roll? Your cards are all fantastic but my absolute favourite is the Xmas one!! Oh it is sooo lovely!
xoxo
Karen
ps thanks for visiting me earlier!

Julia S-W said...

What a great idea Elizabeth! Must see if the waxed paper I've got will work!
Juliaxx

Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth this is a great technique - thank you so much for sharing it with us. I popped by to see if you were taking part in the 12 tags of 2012 as I wanted to thank you for your lovely comment and this is as far as I got! Well worth the visit - thanks again. Belated WOYWW Hugs to you from Helen 18

Neesie said...

Apologies for being so late...nearly didn't make it...but I'm here now! Phewph! ;D
Your cards are fantastic Elizabeth and I think it's wonderful how you share the technique of how to produce such wonderful work!
I hope your hospital visits went okay...I've got two myself on Monday...what a way to start the week. Yuk!
Neesie #30 (if I remember rightly)

MaryH said...

Loved the cards, and also your waxed technique samples. Let me just say, I've tried this techique a couple of times. Mine NEVER turned out so gorgeous as what I see here. You did a fantastic job! It IS a fun technique, is it not??? The paper napkin one is fun also...good luck with your appointments. TFS

Cass said...

Oooh will have to try that technique, I already mess with the encaustic art, so this is right up my street.

Cass

Amyjzs said...

Can't wait to try this!