Friday 4 May 2012

Bird's Foot Trefoil - a With Thanks card

Hello Everyone,

A little earlier today ... housework done and a box that has been stored unopened since we moved in four years ago finally unpacked! It was the last one left too, so I suppose we can say we've finally settled in :)

It's been a bit cooler today but we are lucky, the patio at the back is a bit of a suntrap so it's been pleasant there and it's lovely to see all our newly planted tubs flourishing there.

And on the subject of flowers, here's another card featuring a paper from same collection as yesterday's - The Diary of an Edwardian Lady.


This time I have chosen the Bird's Foot Trefoil DP, another lovely wildflower that brings back a quite spectacular memory. Not from childhood this time but from much later. For a good many years I lived with my family on the Moray Firth Coast, in a little village near the amazing Bullers of Buchan which is a collapsed sea cave forming a huge and almost circular chasm, where the sea rushes in through a natural archway.


On one occasion when I was visiting the Bullers I was stunned to find myself walking among dozens of Common Blue butterflies - a truly splendiferous sight, particularly as they are not as common as their name implies.


They were attracted there by the Bird's Foot Trefoil that was flowering all alongside the footpath. It was one of those truly serendipitous moments that happen so rarely in a lifetime, and I have never had the pleasure of seeing so many Common Blues together since.

I've digressed, back to the card. The DP is matted on to some leftover taupe card from the snippet drawer, as is the label for the topper and the base for the lace and ribbon panel. The topper tag and the greeting tag are from the same collection as the DP. The vintage lace I inherited from my late mother so it's very special. All the other embellishments were rooted out of my stash.


Materials used:
  • Square cream base card
  • Leftover taupe card for matting
  • Paper and tag, The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • Snippet of taupe card for panel and label - from Spellbinders Labels Twenty-Five
  • Martha Stewart edge punch
  • Vintage lace and other embellishments - ribbon, button, brown twine, gold brads - from stash

As yesterday, I'm entering this card for the following challenges:
Paper Crafting Journey #8 - Vintage

Joanna Sheen Challenge Blog - Flower Power

and having raided the snippets drawer again:

I've made another card using another sheet of this DP but I will post it later because it's time for a cuppa.

By the way, the crocheting of granny squares is going well ... I have 30 made towards the throw for little Rhian. I've calculated I need 88 to complete it, so still a way to go yet.

I'll close by wishing you all a lovely weekend.

Happy crafting,


9 comments:

scrappymo! said...

Wahat a lovely card but I just love the photos! They are just superb!

Di said...

Totally fabulous Elizabeth - brilliant use of snippets. And I agree with scrappymo - the photos are just stunning - what an amazing experience with all those butterflies too. Have a super weekend! Di xx

brenda said...

Beautiful colourway on your card Elizabeth and makes for a lovely card with the decorated inside as well.

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

B x

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...super card Elizabeth arn't they pretty papers, loVe the hanging Tags too...you got some loVely piccy's...haven't heard the word 'suntrap' in a while!...we're getting washed away on the South Coast...have a loVely weekend...Mel :)

coops said...

gorgeous card elizabeth.really beautiful design and i love your colours :D

xx coops xx

M said...

Another gorgeous card. Love this vintage style. M x

Sarn said...

Terrific photo's Elizabeth. I love your use of those papers.

How wonderful to see so many Common Blues.

Glad you've finally settled in . . . .after FOUR years! LOL! xxx

Bernie said...

Another gorgeous card Elizabeth! Beautiful design and I love the colors. Fabulous photos, I'd have loved to have seen those butterflies.
Hugs

Karen said...

A really gorgeous card Elizabeth, such pretty papers and I love the photos :)

Karen xx