Thursday 3 November 2011

Christmas Alphabet - L for Let It Snow

Afternoon Folks


Here's the finished card that, if you participate in WOYWW, you would have spotted partially done on my desk yesterday.  The topper is my second attempt - messed up the stamping on the first - and I'd say this was my first really successful attempt at brayering - I do believe I've got the hang of it now :)

I used what I think is termed a resist technique on the background. To do this I started by stamping the Let It Snow stamp with VersaMark, then dotted the fine tip of a VersaMark randomly over the card to form the snowflakes. I then used blue ink and the brayer, as per Barbara Gray, over about two-thirds of the card for the sky and just a swipe or two over the bottom right hand corner which gives a hint of blue and no more. Topper is matted on to holographic card and two shades of blue, dark and medium, and the base is the palest shade of blue.

I did make the mistake of stamping the row of houses with Archival Ink so had to use AquaMarkers to colour them. It was serendipity, because I actually like the effect of the pastel colours and the houses now look like those on the waterfront at Tobermory, Isle of Mull - also known as Balamory! The snow is made using the very fine iridescent glitter I found at the craft show in Glasgow last week.


Just a simple insert - the edges are stamped using a favourite Hero Arts stamp.


I rescued the stamped area from the first attempt, trimmed it down and adhered it to the back.

Materials List:
  • Cardstock: Papermania Textured Cardstock in three shades of blue; Claritystamp white matt-coated A6 postcard; silver holographic card 
  • Stamps: Docrafts, Penelope & Percy Christmas Greetings; Claritystamp, Street, No.55 & Tree, No. 59; Hero Arts, Wavy Stars
  • Inks & Pens: Adirondack, Stonewashed; Archival Ink, Jet Black; AquaMarkers, Aquamarine, Straw Yellow; Rose Carmine, Sepia
  • Insert: White copy paper 
  • Embellishments: Very fine iridescent glitter; blue card candy
It's just 4.30pm and it's already dusk - I really don't like it when the clocks are altered. For me, I'd be perfectly happy if they, whoever they are, just left time alone. We, DH and myself, have been to the gym this morning and had a workout - yes, worked up a sweat and feel good after it.  I can't believe I've just said that! Disaster struck later when I discovered that my mobile phone had stopped lighting up - couldn't see the screen. Alan hot-footed it down to the 3 shop to see if they could do anything. But, no, it's been sent off for repair. Now, I don't use any phone often, well, for talking on, but I do rely on my mobile to keep me on track - directory, calendar, notebook, all on my phone. Help! All my appointments are logged in the calendar with reminders all set up. Oh, well, I'll be winging it until my phone comes home - so if I forget next WOYWW, you'll know why :)
 
Happy Crafting,
 

5 comments:

brenda said...

Agree with you on these dark nights Elizabeth, I get to November and yearn for Spring. I could happily decamp to somewhere warmer for the Winter months.

This is a beautiful card, so serene and elegant.

B x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Very lovely Elizabeth! L for let it snow - I saw the man under lamp post and thought you were talking about that image - ha crossed wires! Shaz in oz.x

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beautiful, thanks for sharing!
Hey, Pixie Dust Paperie is having a giveaway, we have 4 prizes this month, please come join in the fun!
http://www.pixiedustpaperie.blogspot.com/

Jackie said...

What a truly beautiful card :o)
Jackie xx

coops said...

gorgeous card elizabeth.i love the winter scene and fab icy colours ;D

xx coops xx