Friday 22 April 2011

My Mother in 1946 - Scrapbooking My Family History

Good Afternoon to You All,

And Good Friday to you all too. I hope your Easter holiday has got off with a bang and that you have all been enjoying this fabulous weather. For Easter, it's amazing!


I've been meaning to scrap this lovely photograph of my late mother, Margo, since forever and last night, after seeing Glimpsing the Past, Angie's, beautiful layout of her mother, I finally got around to making a start - and finished it today. Taken just before her 19th birthday and a few months before she married my father this, sadly, is the only surviving photo of her when she was this young. She had the most amazing green eyes, which I didn't inherit unfortunately, thick black hair, a beautiful complexion, and was entirely too glamorous for words.



The design paper is Prima, Fairy Flora Collection, "Pixie Garden" and was chosen because the colours reflected those in my mother's dress - I know this is a sepia print but the dress was wine and gold and the string of pearls, you can just about spot, were pink. I remember both well, especially as I cut my teeth on the pearls! My mother was an expert needlewoman and she saved her war time coupons to buy the fabric for this dress. She also made her wedding outfit but sadly there are no surviving photos of my parents on their wedding day.

The gorgeous wine coloured flower and ribbon is from The Fruit Pixie, as is the gold flower trim. Other ribbons are Anna Griffin, including the gold one down the right side which I pleated onto DS tape. The butterfly came from an old necklace and all the other embellishments are from my stash - which means I can't remember where I got them : (

Wishing you all a very happy holiday once again.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

What a fabulous page Elizabeth and a wonderful family keepsake - I love all the amazing detail you've included. All the more precious as there aren't many photographs remaining.

It's a wonderful tribute to your beautiful Mother.

Thanks for visiting my woyww desk, and I wish you a Happy Easter xx

Angie said...

Thank you for being inspired by my Mum to scrap yours and what a wonderful job you made of it too. You found the right paper and embelishments to complement her photo and still allow her beautiful face to stand out. xx

coops said...

this is beautiful elizabeth.a great keepsake of your mum and your details and colours are gorgeous.
have a fab easter weekend :D

xx coops xx

Jackie said...

What a beautiful page Elizabeth, lovely photograph :o)
Jackie xx

Di said...

Absolutely gorgeous Elizabeth - and what a pretty Mum! You got it exactly right - Happy Easter! Di x

Carrie said...

What a wonderful, wonderful piece of work Elizabeth. Your mother looks so happy in this photo and it is such a lovely way to showcase this last remaining photo of her in her youth. Thank you for sharing it with me.
Love
Carrie
xxx

Christa said...

Hi Elizabeth , what a wonderful layout you have made of your mother !! It looks great in that vintage style. Before I started card-making , I used to make layouts too. Now I see this , I want to scrap my photo's again....Thanks for the inspiration !! Love from Holland , Christa.

akilli melek said...

elizabeth what a lovely page, and a lovely tribute to your mother. I think heritage pages are some of the most emotional ones that we ever try to make, but some of the most worthwhile too.
caroline

Dolly Daydreams said...

What a beautiful layout Elizabeth and a lovely tribute to your mother, perfect embellishments, gorgeous paper too.

Marie