Monday 11 April 2011

Culzean Haul + A Challenge Win

Good Morning All,


You may know from my last post that we spent a glorious day at Culzean Castle yesterday and I thought you might like to see the little things I picked up whilst there. Not only are there a couple of NTS gift shops there but there is a second-hand bookshop which is fitted out with sofas and a coffee/tea machine - just my kind of bookshop : ) After walking around the grounds and gardens the EM and I like nothing better than to go in and browse there, and rest a while. And what a find this Glue Gun Projects book is, full of inspirational ideas and so worth the massive £2 charged!!


Handmade flowers are really popular in our crafting world so how about this beautiful broach made of tweed - I just could not resist buying one, the Meadow Petal, from the gift shop for my sister, Margaret. I've had a good look at it and I think it is possible that it has been cut using one of the popular dies that are around. There are 5 layers, the first 2 base layers are stiffened, the middle 2 are not but the last central layer is also stiffened and shaped. For anyone who is interested, the maker is Ness (how appropriate for a Scottish company!) and there is a website: www.ness.co.uk.

And, I just had to get the wee black Scottie dog for Margaret to add to her quite extensive collection of all things Scottie. Admittedly it is the wrong colour, Margaret's Robbie is white, but it will look great hanging on her tree at Christmas. Here's a photo of the adorable Robbie for all the dog lovers out there.


How can anyone resist a face like that!

Next, last week's Christmas card, Week 14 - you can see it here -  has won a prize for me over on Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Card challenge (CHNC). Those of you who've been following this blog will know that I resolved at the beginning of the year to make one Christmas card a week so that I would be better prepared this year than last. And so far I've kept to my resolve, and being spurred on by Hazel with her weekly challenges has in no small way helped. So if you've thought about making a start on stocking up for Christmas then perhaps joining in with the challenge will give you the spur you need too.

I'm thrilled to bits of course, especially as last week the prize was my choice of 4 digi stamps and 1 set of digi papers from Robyn's Fetish. Lovely stamps and gorgeous papers. Here's a glimpse of my choice.

Coney Island Summers digi papers

Digital Stamps
The papers are just gorgeous - the plain coloured ones are textured - and the colours are just up my street. There's plenty of sets to choose from - another one that rather took my eye and will no doubt end up in my collection is Forever Fall, full of beautiful rich autumnal colours. The stamps are beautifully drawn and look easy to colour - not too many fiddly details. There are loads to choose from, so much so, that I hummed and hawed for a good while before narrowing it down to these four - there really is something to suit all tastes. If, like me, you are into digi crafting and haven't yet discovered Robyn's Fetish then take a look as there is an sale on with 30% off up to Easter.

That's my news for today done, now I'm off to visit a few WOYWWers and followers - way behind again this week as I've been out playing in the sun and having far too much fun. But today is cooler, rainier and the sun has gone into hiding so I'll have to content myself here in the craft space - not so bad really :)

Take care all of you and happy crafting,

9 comments:

akilli melek said...

I'm back!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited that i can actually leave you some comments now that the very nice chap at the VPN helpdesk has managed to get me back onto blogger.

well done on your christmas card win, you deserve it. Truly your cards are fab and inspirational.
It was very frustrating being able to read your posts over the last 2 weeks but not to see any of the photos that you had uploaded, or indeed leave you any comments. so I'm off now to re-read most of the last 3 weeks posts so that i can see all the examples, lol.

Dolly Daydreams said...

Lovely to read all your goings on Elizabeth as well as seeing your beautiful creation. Keep up the good work

Marie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your win , Elizabeth. I love to read of the places you go as we often visit Scotland - MIL lives just s of Edinburgh - and its nice to find some different palces to go if we go a gallivanting around a bit.
Thanks for your kindnesses.
x Tricia

Christa said...

Hi Elizabeth , I allways love to read your story's. And congratulations on your winning card !! Nice price's. Thanks for leaving me a message on my blog ; but the tag was made by a friend of mine. I will give her the compliments....Love from Holland , Christa.

brenda said...

Hello Elizabeth.

Thanks for you lovely comment and I just had to come take a peek despite it being a non bloggin day (I have to be strict with myself to eek out my screen time for the sake of my eyes).

Your card is fabulous and so pleased you enjoyed the technique and I have to say I think I prefer your's to mine and a well deserved win.

B x

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth! Your trip to the castle sounds absolutely FUN. Some day I hope to visit the UK and see all those beautiful castles. Seeing them through your blog is really great. Little Robbie is so cute. Congrats on your winnings! And thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today. Hugs xo ~ Rhonda

Hayley @ funkyfarmscrapbookbarn.co.uk said...

Hi Elizabeth, sounds as though you've been very busy indeed!!! I love the gorgeous broach, Robbie is so cute and congrats on your win!!!
I hope you're well xxx

lisa said...

I'm glad you've shared this amazing weather, Elizabeth. It's been gorgeous hasn't it. I was so interested to hear of your visit to Culzean Castle and see the photos. I went there years ago on a family holiday. I'd only be about 10 so it brought back lovely memories.
You certainly did some great shopping. I love the flower brooch.
Congrats on your win, your prize looks lovely.
hugs Lisax

Jules said...

Hi Elizabeth

Sounds like you had a lovely time at Culzean .. .. it looks an interesting place.

Lovely little buys from there too!!

Congrats on your win by the way. You will have fun with those.

Love Jules xx